Thursday, March 30, 2023

HELP!

Do not bring
this to a sewing class.
 
 I may have mentioned a few months ago, my sewing teacher, Val accidentally ended up teaching a remedial sewing class. At the time, I took the class (again) it was because I wanted to get out of the house. What ended up happening was her students were having such a difficult time with some basics (like threading a needle) that I became Val's assistant.

To be fair, during that class, I always finished my project within a half an hour because I followed the directions and--per the requirements of the instructor--cut my fabric out at home. Also, I had enough rudimentary knowledge that I was able to help other students. I also became her, "Let's all gather around the sewing machine and see how this is done," Vanna White student. That particular class only finished two of the six course projects. Val was doomed from the start.  

That course ended and Val moved on to another beginning sewing class. I knew she was teaching another one, but with the master gardener program looming I didn't sign up for one more thing on my plate. Plus, I'm working on a few sewing projects of my own and didn't want to buy fabric for a pillowcase I didn't need or a garish oven door towel.  

Bring THIS to a
sewing class. PLEASE. 
And this brings me to this past week. On Tuesday evening, Marty and I went for a walk around Wake Village.  A text came in from Val. It said, "Help!!!!! Can you come to the school?" Given Texarkana College is five minutes away, and my walk was completed, oh... why not! 

I walked into Val's class and she looked up. "Great! I'm glad you're here." Val had eight students--a full house. There were TWO of the eight students with toy sewing machines. Most of her students seemed to be on par with the class. However, Val pointed to a 12 year old girl off by herself and introduced me to Maggie. For the rest of the evening, I was Maggie's private instructor. 

By the way, Maggie's mother was in the room--with a real machine (Maggie had a green toy), real pins, real scissors and real accessories necessary to sew. She was sitting nowhere near Maggie. I'm guessing that may be why Miss Maggie was so needy.* Maggie didn't have the right instruction, tools, machine or life experience to keep up . 

Given the sewing machine Maggie had to work with, her pillowcase came out pretty amazing. I loved watching her face light up as her project came together. Her seams were straight-ish and dare I say, it might have been the best pillowcase in the class. Next week I will bring a few extra items I have laying around for the poor girl so she can some decent tools--including a pin cushion, better pins and reasonable scissors.  

Yes, I'm planning on showing up next three Tuesdays. If nothing else, it will get me out of the house. And I'm guessing Val's class will be much smoother with someone giving Maggie a bit of attention. 

*This is not in any way to dog on Maggie's mom. I have been that mother who purposely sat away from my clingy kid so they could have another teacher/mentor offer them guidance. I wanted my child to have a win where I didn't direct it. So, I totally understand. Maggie would not have done so well if Mom had been hovering. And Val had a full load and didn't have time for the one-on-one attention Miss Maggie needed (it really is an adult class). But geeze Mom! Give the girl some reasonable tools to do her project!

No comments:

Post a Comment