Friday, March 6, 2020

A Pleasant Surprise

Remember Landon and Dawn? They had a house in Gilbert they wanted to sell. Dawn is a snide ugly piece of a human and took liberties to tell me on a regular basis what an idiot I am.

Much to their shock, last fall, I fired them. It was a wonderful release, restoring not only my dignity but my sanity.

But first! I called a broker friend of mine and asked him if he wanted these folks. After all, they were about to be agentless. When I was done delicately explaining why I was stepping back (she is the friend of a close family friend and just didn't respect me or my professional opinion), he said, "Sure, I'm up for a challenge."

My broker friend listed the house and it closed. And even better! He gave me a moderately modest referral check for giving him the clients. I didn't ask for a referral, but I am not complaining. I am beyond grateful. I expected nothing.

By the way, Marty suggested I mention: I looked on MLS and checked out her house. Back when she and I were talking, EVERY recommendation I made to her came with rude comments. And yet, according to MLS, EVERY ONE of these recommendations were completed. She replaced the tile floor (cracked and broken). She took out the termite-infested bookshelves ("But we put them in..."). She replaced the worn, 20+ year old carpet. She even took out the carpet in the master bathroom ("There's nothing wrong with bathroom carpet."). She polished up the paint. She even cleaned up the yard ("Why bother? Isn't it a seller's market?" she asked.).

All of these were suggestions I made long ago that was met with nasty ugly sucker punches to my ego. What ever happened to just, "No thank you?" But, what do you know!? When my broker friend suggested these upgrades, he was a genius. The check I got today absorbed all of that bitterness.

No comments:

Post a Comment