Friday, March 25, 2022

Retirement, Round 2

I am no longer employed at The Brokerage. I'm ok. Tessa and I are still friendly--in fact, I am going out with her tonight. Whether Tessa invited me out because of pity or true friendship, remains to be seen. Given I have a knife-sized hole in my back from one of her employees, I don't know. But I am curious about Tessa's motive for inviting me. I do like her. I would like to keep that friendship alive. 

At any rate. I saw the writing on the wall last week. Working in an office with 20 Southern women who have mostly known each other and their families from birth wasn't working out. I was getting blamed for the changes in the office (but the paperwork was finally compliant, and it hadn't been before) and the fact that I was an "outsider" was rubbing a few of the more diva-agent types raw. Tessa doesn't like conflict. Even she admitted I did nothing wrong, but I got to be the scapegoat nonetheless. 

That said, I actually resigned in the middle of Tessa firing me. I told her I wasn't a good fit, which we both knew weeks ago. And please, when this comes up, tell the staff it was my choice to leave. I then showed Tessa what I was working on, so that she would be able to talk authoritatively in Monday's meeting with the higher-ups. And, I lobbied for a better desk for Abby and a raise for the woman who stabbed me in the back before I walked out the door. Revenge is living well. Grace will get me farther than rancor.  

My heart is light. I've been laughing all afternoon with Buckaroo as we drove around Texarkana running errands that I hadn't had time to do prior. I think it is safe to say, I am ready for my second round of retirement. At last count, I have five home projects (minus taxes) on my plate that I was doing in my spare time. My family is thrilled I no longer work there and told me so at lunch. I guess my job wasn't a good fit for any of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment