Sunday, March 13, 2022

The Texarkana Home Show

Oh small town life...

So the Texarkana Home Show was quickly whipped together by the Powers that Be, and held in the Arkansas Convention Center. Why? Because the Texarkana Convention Center was already being used for the Gun Show. And let me just say, the parking lot for the Texarkana Convention Center was packed-full when Marty and I showed up at the wrong event. 

It turns out that the Texarkana Home Show should not have been competing with the Gun Show. The only vendors in place were the four real estate companies in town, three title companies, two banks, one mortgage broker and the Texas-Arkansas Board of Realtors. There also was a roofer and two home inspectors. Habitat for Humanity had a table and a few magnets laying out, but nobody manned their table. Marty and I were the only participants when we showed up around 1 p.m. And frankly, Marty was only there because it was part of our marital vows. 

In some ways it was great for me. I showed up to support my team. But I had a better opportunity to meet the folks at three different title companies, two banks, one mortgage broker and three other real estate offices, who do business with my company. When I said, "I work for Tessa," they all knew who she was. Tessa doesn't need a last name in Texarkana. 

What was really fun was that many of them I'd spoken with on the phone or they had heard of me through Tessa. The woman from the Board of Real Estate seemed to know my background better than I did and asked when I would be coming on board as an agent. I told her I'd rather teach--but I need a license to do that too in Texas. She said we'd be talking. She also reminded me about the luncheon this coming Wednesday that I hadn't RSVP'd to yet for managers and brokers. I won't be going, but shucks, it was nice to be invited. 

It was interesting to observe Tessa watch me network. When I am with her, I am overshadowed. Tessa likes to command the room. I'm not a command the room kind of girl and have no desire to be that person. But I can hold my own. And I know she saw that. I wasn't there to sell anyone a home, but to make a few contacts to help my agents and perhaps recruit a few agents away from the three other real estate brokers in town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment