Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Texarkana Quirks

Other than no reasonable Mexican Food, Texarkana has a few other quirks I've noticed. 

1. There are no sidewalks. Anywhere. 

2. There are deer crossing signs. IN THE CITY. They are not to be ignored.  

3. Donut shops are a thing. And they are worth every single calorie. 

4. People in cars wave when you walk by (on the street--no sidewalks). I think it is a state law to wave. 

5. It appears that most people feel the need to announce their political affiliation. I don't understand it. Nor do I appreciate it. Other people's politics, sex life and religion should still be left to the imagination.

6. It is customary to be invited to someone's church service. If you don't go to their church, they assume you are a heathen. At which point, not only will the aforementioned church service invite be coming, but so will the invite for Bible study and Sunday school. The exception seems to be the Catholics. Not only do they not have Sunday school but they pretty much don't seem to be recruiting around here.

7. Everyone around here is--and I'm not making this up--about four degrees of separation. I interviewed plumbers for my (hopefully) upcoming bathroom remodel. The one I selected turned out to know my former lawn guy and his wife works with Marty. There were other plumbers I spoke with too--they all knew someone in my former Brokerage.

8. There are two types of folks: the ones who were born and raised in Texarkana and the newcomers. The Born and Raised don't really have much appreciation for the Newcomers--especially if the Newcomers don't go to their church. 

9. Lawn guys are unreliable creatures in Texarkana and should come with a proven clean drug screening. Buckaroo worked for my former lawn guy for about a minute and decided he wasn't into the chemical lifestyle. Incidentally, the plumber I'm using for the (hopefully) upcoming bathroom remodel didn't seem to like my former lawn guy. That was fine with me. 

10. The stuff that matters is cheaper. Gas is under $4 a gallon. My utility bills combined for the month of February were under $250 for water, cable, gas and electric. Eggs and meat are really inexpensive.  

11. City Zoning is a mere suggestion. On the main road near my house you may find the auto detailing place, next to the Barbecue restaurant, next to the nursery, next to a housing subdivision, next to a Baptist Church, next to another Baptist Church, next to the Game Stop, next to another housing subdivision, next to the donut shop. From a large city, it boggles the mind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment