Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Bonus Time

I was so floored by Bonus Dad's voicemail, announcing he was stopping by Texarkana on his way to Kansas (ultimately going to Michigan) that I forgot to see how long he was staying. The answer was, he stayed until Wednesday morning. It was a wonderful visit. I cannot begin to tell you how touched I was, he made the trek out this way, just for me and my family. He is truly a gift and a blessing. 

Figuring Texarkana and Arizona Avenue didn't hold too much luster, and not really having done much sight-seeing since we got here, I consulted with a local about day trips and it was suggested I check out historic Jefferson Texas. As it turns out, I've wanted to go to Jefferson anyway. However, on Mondays most every museum in Jefferson happens to be closed. 

I did find a boat tour into the bayou, with a guide who knew the history as well as the flora and fauna of the area. Everyone on the trip other than Polly and myself were eager to see an alligator. But as Polly pointed out, "If you've seen on you've seen enough." And Polly and I have seen plenty. Sadly for the rest of the passengers, they didn't see any alligators either. But we did see a lot of turtles and birds. Did you know cypress tress are natural insect repellants? The bayou is full of cypress tress. 

On Tuesday we needed to stay close to home because Mr. Tony's crew is working on my bathroom. Marty babysat them in the afternoon, while Bonus Dad and I headed over to the Ace of Clubs house. There are tours three times a day and, like all events around here, are rather informal. Bonus Dad and I puttered around outside, wondering where the entrance was, until a woman drove up, said, "Do you want to see the inside?" and then opened up the house for the two of us. 

She gave us a private tour, telling us all about Texarkana history and the history of the house and families, letting us have a first hand view of this house, which was shaped like a playing card club. Sadly, the place is in disrepair and in need of a serious overhaul. If I'm looking for a civic event to be involved in, saving the Ace of Clubs house might be something worthwhile to check out. 

I found an interesting video that kind of tells a bit about the Ace of Clubs house. The quality isn't great. It is about two minutes, and covers the gist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNLhAajXAsU

Wednesday morning Bonus Dad came over for breakfast (I found an Air BnB close by for him to lodge at) and he was on the road by 8 a.m. I'm planning on seeing him in August, when I go up Michigan. 

Swamp pictures below. 






No comments:

Post a Comment