Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Six Month Review (Part 1)

Here's what I like about Texarkana: 

It's Quiet. I don't just mean birds chirping. There's a quiet, peacefulness to the area. Lack of cars. Lack of people. I have a lack of head noise. People stick to themselves. This is truly a "you do you," kind of place where the Bill of Rights are respected. Worship music can be found at the dentist office. Instead of complaining or feeling triggered, folks who don't like it just find another dental office. There are no protests based on color of the skin, political affiliation or whatever drama of the day happens to be spewing on the alphabet news. 

It's Green. Texarkana is home to the Piney Forest. As much as I miss the desert, I love the woods.  I love the trees, flowers and the fact I have a garden producing food. I like counting the different variety of trees in a given front yard during my walks. I like walking around the plant nursery, asking Mr. Tidwell about the best kinds of mint to keep away mosquitos. I love having hydrangea bushes and sunflowers. I truly don't know how to garden, but I'm learning. 

I don't have to work. At least I currently don't have to work. Our bills are minimal ($130 for June's electrical bill). Our biggest expense is groceries and home improvement projects that take three weeks. Compared to other parts of the country, our gas prices are moderately reasonable-ish. If we were still in Arizona, I think I'd have to have a job by now or be doubling down on the real estate business. With inflation, Marty and I don't see how we could have managed with one income in Arizona. Because I don't have to work, I can focus on the hobbies I never had time for when my kids were younger. I am truly grateful Marty encourages this.  

People like what I want to learn. Sure new friendships haven't happened. I'm still meeting folks who like to sew, write, read and garden. I will even shoot the real estate breeze with Tessa when the occasion arises. True friendships take time. I have true friends. They just aren't here. I'm ok with that.

My church. I liked my church in Phoenix. I love my church community here. I love the priest and his weekly messages of hope and inspiration.  

I'm in the middle of the country. It is 100 miles closer to drive to the cottage in Northern Michigan or Miami than it is to Phoenix. Though flying is always my first choice, driving to anywhere isn't terrible. I like being centralized. 

Lack of traffic. As a real estate agent in Arizona, I drove everywhere--which was often 100+ miles a day, every day. I still drive everywhere, but I'm not dealing with crazies on the road. Now, my biggest frustration is the tractor trailers on Interstate 30 during my drive to Little Rock. I feel safer on the road than I did in Phoenix. Nothing in Texarkana is far. "Across town" means eight miles. I fill up my car once or twice a month. Marty fills up his car less often. I have yet to see a major car accident, but in six months, I have seen one slight fender bender that held up one lane of traffic through one red light cycle. 

The lack of Karens. I am convinced big-city people are abrupt and caustic. Myself included. It is the dialect of the metropolis. During my trips back to Phoenix, since I moved here, I've become acutely aware at how aggressive folks in big cities happen to be. Try that in Texarkana and you will be taken down a notch or two by the community. "Please" and "Thank You" are so much more welcome here than "Let me talk with your manager." 

No comments:

Post a Comment