Wednesday, October 5, 2022

A Day in the Life

There was a time, like up until December 15 of last year, when it was common for me to spend hours in my car. Errands would take half a day, if not longer. Everything from the Home Depot to the Sam's Club to the Hobby Lobby would require at least a 30 minute commute. Dad was 48 miles and three freeways away. Couple that with all the driving I did for real estate. Clients live where they live (and never next door). The real estate association alone was 25 miles away. 

I thought nothing of it. But I do know I felt suffocated. I'm certain I have great driving skills. They were necessary to maneuver through a big city. 

In Texarkana, with the exception of the Wake Village City Hall, nothing is "walking distance" but nothing is far. Home Depot is 2 miles. Sam's Club is 3. The post office and the Hobby Lobby are kinda across the street from both. I have zero interest in selling houses. So, no driving there--though I see that I still have my "big city" driving habits. 

The reason I bring this up because it astounds me how spoiled I've gotten about not driving. Right now, I have a bunch of errands that are stacking up: the post office, Sam's, and Home Depot. And yet, I just don't want to deal with the "traffic." To be fair, I also need to go to the farmer's market, which is 20 miles away, but I never mind going there. I estimate, including the hour I will be at the farmer's market (I'm never there under an hour), I will leave my home at 8 and be back by 11. Now, I just have to decide which day I want to leave the house. 



No comments:

Post a Comment