Monday, October 24, 2022

I'm Sticking to Dessert from Now On

Every Church of Christ prayer meeting comes with a dinner. Sunday night's food theme was "Sloppy Joe's." Sloppy Joes are a ground beef or loose-meat sandwich, generally swimming in tomato sauce and served on a hamburger bun. Right? Could someone please confirm that I'm not crazy.

Suzie, the organizer (a Corona and someone I just adore), was asking for dinner contributions. On her list was "chopped pork," "potatoes," "olives" and "onions." 

Bonus Mom taught me not to show up empty handed to these kinds of events, and I just can't seem to shake this. However, I realized how limited my Texan palate must be when just I couldn't figure out the food list. 

"Do they mean pork loin cut into chunks?" I asked Marty as we looked the message. 

"Possibly, but is it seasoned with something specific?" 

"But that isn't a sloppy joe." I pointed out. 

"You could bring buns," Marty suggested. 

"Nope, it doesn't appear buns are on the list. Someone must have already gotten them," I said. "They did mention potatoes. That looks easy." 

"What kind of potatoes?" Marty asked. "Red? Yukon? Fingerlings? Mashed? Fried? Boiled? Scalloped?"

"There are also onions and olives on the list. I could bring those?" I countered. 

Marty asked, "Black or green olives? And are you looking at red onions or yellow onions? How do they want them cut?" 

"I'm bringing chocolate chip cookies." 

For the record, the meal served was barbecued pulled pork served over baked potatoes and garnished with green scallions and black olives. I ate at home and nibbled on one of Polly's cookies during the dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment