Monday, February 25, 2019

Adventures in Dignity

Being in sales, I am acutely aware customers get away. Sometimes I am happy to release them, as these potential clients scream, "I am a complete and total pain in the ass!" loud and clear. Sometimes I scratch my head, wondering if I did something to offend. No matter what, I have yet to find a situation where it wasn't in my best interests to move on.

Though I like my end game (groceries, electricity and gasoline), there is more satisfaction to what I do than my bank account thanking me. I love helping people as they transition to the next phase of their life. There truly is satisfaction in that.

I have worked with clowns in the past, where, knowing what I was in for, I didn't turn down the sales and regretted it. These days, I turn down clown clients. A friend said bad attorneys work with bad clients. I think the same can be said for real estate agents. Who needs that?

All self-righteousness aside, I have to tell you, when the clowns turn me down, it still stings a little. A few months ago, I met with a woman for a home selling consultation. She wanted to sell her house. But there was so much baggage attached to her house sale it promised to be a minor-chaotic nightmare.

There were potential and significant legal hazards.

And tax consequences.

And showing issues.

And pricing issues ("but Zillow says!").

Like the dutiful sales person I claim to be, I have contacted this woman on and off for months, saying hello, and for whatever reason, expecting she would contact me when she was ready to sell (she assured me she would be calling). I stumbled upon her house today, listed with someone else. Ouch.

The house is $15,000 higher than the rest of the neighborhood. The commission is super-low. The showing directions are limited, so good luck seeing the interior.

This woman owed me nothing and that's exactly what I got. Marty suggested some other agent is probably going to fare worse than I will. At least I will still have my dignity when all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment