Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Coded

As part of the arbitration process with the local association,  all involved (with the grievance committee, high inquisitor squad, appeals panel and board of directors) had to sit through a "Professional Standards Training" class yesterday. However, I wish it counted for continuing education credit because it was more interesting than the Code of Ethics class I am required to take on a regular basis.

What I did notice was how my social awkwardness seems to follow me into middle age. When it came time to turn to one's partner sitting next to us to work on the case studies, both people on each side turned away from me (making one group uneven) so I ended up working by myself. When I later nudged my way into a group, I was summarily snubbed. When it came time to play Code of Ethics  Jeopardy, our team captain, looking to his team for answers, kept ignoring my answers--even though I was in the front row and my answers were correct. We lost by the way.

I ate lunch by myself too.

After class I ran into a broker whose company has given me a lot of business in the past. A LOT of business. After a few pleasantries, and "What are you up to these days?" ("Glad you asked. I opened my own brokerage. And how are you doing?") I gave him my new business card and dropped all of my papers, tablet and the contents of my purse all over the place.

It was seventh grade all over again.

All that self-pity party aside, the class was informative. I would tell you I was glad I went, but it was mandatory.

Now if I could just figure out this people-thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment