Monday, July 15, 2019

Slightly Bilingaul

A shout-out to my PDX reader who introduced me to DuoLingo. Gracias! Tienes familia bonita. Te extraño mucho.

We had painters in our home today. They came to paint the downstairs family room and my kitchen. I confess: I don't finish paint jobs. That's why I have Abe. He has been my go-to painter for years. Abe recently painted homes for two clients, one of whom I listed their home this week. So, not only does he finish my home painting jobs, he gets a bit of work on occasion from me.

In addition to running a painting company, Abe is also a designated broker. When he comes over, we talk shop for the first several minutes before we get down to business. In fact, I gave him my leftover blue painter's tape from last week, as we commiserated about new home builder walk-throughs. He was shocked at the amount of tape I had left. So was I.

Today Abe's crew came over at 8. They spent the morning taping up everything in sight. Then they began painting. However--and I was warned about this--they turned off the AC, so that the paint would dry quicker. That's well and good, but the house was too hot. So, the kids and I took off for an hour. When I came back, the house was sweltering. So, ten minutes later we put our shoes back on and set to take off once again.

When I went to tell the crew I was leaving, I noticed several walls were painted blue, not white. This was a problem, because I ordered white. "The wall is the wrong color," I told the head of the crew. "It is supposed to be white."

All of the sudden, the dude who was fluent in English just moments before could only reply with, "Que?"

"El pared neceita ser blanco, no azul. Solamente blanco," I said pointing to wall.

His eyes got big for two reasons. The second one being I spoke Spanish-ish, "Blanco?"

"Si."

Then he said a few words in Spanish I didn't know. But I certainly understood the meaning.

Anyway, Abe and the painters are coming back tomorrow. If they are confused by my Spanglish, perhaps they will understand Abe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment