Thursday, July 27, 2017

Brain Fog

I am working. I even wrote an offer and helped my friend Jane, a new agent in my office, negotiate an offer. After being partially inactive for so long (I took classes and stayed up with trends, laws and the overall goings-on) and having my own ongoing personal issues this week, I was astonished with the amount of brain fog I had. I am told the brain fog has more to do with the ongoing personal issues and less to do with my competence, but either way, it is a scary place to be when one is writing legal contracts.

My offer took three hours to write. It was a simple offer, which under the right circumstances would have taken less than forty-five minutes. It was a matter of filling in a few boxes and making a couple of phone calls, but for whatever reason, it wasn't simple this time. Plus, I saw a box of Sugar Babies* (which happens to be sitting my office, so hard to miss) and that made me cry all over again. Crying and real estate happen to go together, but not for happy things like writing contracts. In the end I sent the agent an email saying "attached is the offer," but did not attach the offer. Fortunately, he let me know and I sent it to him again. And, sadly again.

Jane, an agent of four months, is probably now rethinking this vocation. She has reason to. Her very first transaction isn't going as swimmingly as they assured her it would in real estate school. It is her sale but she is asking for help. I am forgetting basic things she has told me and having to look them up before I can advise. I ended up sending the other agent involved in the sale the wrong forms, which did nothing for Jane's credibility. Moreover, when the agent didn't get her way (she isn't going to) and let us all know how disappointed she is, I wrote a very polite response to this person but didn't send it for fear we would all be in front of a judge. Nothing like sleeping on a reply to make sure all bases are covered and a transaction can be salvaged.

Finally, this week I lost a rental client. He called and texted me on a couple of days where I was preoccupied with my own drama and wasn't checking my phone or calendar. By the time I realized he was gone, it was too late. I am ok with this because 1) he wanted to shop for a rental home instead of pick one out because why see three viable homes that are available when there is an entire metro Phoenix area to explore?, 2) he was a bit of a flake (as am I so, I guess I shouldn't judge right now) and I am under the impression he will be homeless because of his poor planning skills and three 3) there is nothing much to rent right now. But it doesn't change the fact I lost him because I wasn't doing my job.

In truth, I am not lacking confidence. I totally confident my synapses aren't firing right. And that is what is affecting my ability to think straight. I am told the brain fog is a normal part of the healing process. In any case, I am not used to brain fog or life this way.




*Sugar Babies were Reader Number Two's favorite candy. They were given out at the memorial. I don't particularly like them, but I put them in the office because Buckaroo was bound and determined to eat every box we received. So, I wanted one to look at. For now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment