Saturday, July 29, 2017

Good Agent; Bad Agent

Jane, who is a new agent in my office, also happens to be a friend of 44 years. Her first client is her aunt. I warned her upfront that family and friends can be the worst clients. Now before I go much further, I have had some wonderful family and friends who were fabulous clients--they may or may not even read this blog, but I am happy to give them access to it, if they cared enough. But early on in my real estate career, when my friends thought they were doing me a favor by hiring me to represent them, I did not have the greatest of luck. Those folks do not read my blog. Since then, I pick and choose which family and friend I will work with. I know better.

Because Jane had the luxury of just having a client to begin with, she heeded my advice the way a child heeds the "be careful" advice when running joyously into Disneyland. I explained to Jane, "Your Aunt was there when you were born. She changed your diaper. She saw your teenage angst. She saw tears and triumphs in your life. She was there when you had your babies and remembers you as a young mother. Heck, she remembers you as if you were 11. She will treat you as such. No matter what." At the time Jane didn't exactly understand. She does now.

You see, Auntie doesn't care what Jane advises in this particular sale. Auntie wants things done Auntie's way. And unfortunately, Auntie's way is going to either get her in front of a judge or have the sale blown all to bits. Or both.

Jane and I were discussing this earlier this week. Jane was lamenting Auntie was about to do something that would put the transaction in harm's way and wouldn't listen to Jane but listens to me. "She wouldn't treat me that way," I agreed. And it is true. I could be a new agent and Jane could be the veteran and it wouldn't matter. Auntie never kissed my cheek when I scuffed my knees. She didn't pick me as her agent because she wanted to "help me out." Essentially, she isn't doing me any favors. Frankly, from what I can see, she isn't doing Jane any favors either.

Because of all of Auntie's shenanigans, I will be calling her today and explaining, no she absolutely cannot be present at the home inspection. Nor can Jane. Nor can I. Then, I will explain that by doing so, she is increasing her liability even after the transaction closes--if it even closes. If she were to inadvertently say, "that AC always worked and chilled the house," and then the AC goes out three days after the buyer moves in, the buyer might assume there was some fraud involved. Even if there wasn't. That's just one example of what can happen. And an innocuous one at that.

To be fair, I have never, ever had a sale go well when the buyer and seller meet. Sometimes the parties get along and everyone is wanting to be happy. Then when one teeny tiny situation happens everyone has their own version of the details. The aftermath is ugly. This is another tid-bit I will say to Auntie when I talk to her.

Speaking of talking to her, I have already done so twice this week. I am now the bad cop. Which is fine. As delightful as Auntie is, I won't be invited to her home for Thanksgiving dinner. Hopefully when all is said and done, Jane will be.



No comments:

Post a Comment