Sunday, July 30, 2017

You Have To

So I talked to Jane's Auntie yesterday to see what was causing her such consternation and causing Jane to pull her hair out. Auntie, tells me she wants to pick the home inspection company. Sorry. The buyer picks their home inspection company.

Auntie then tells me if she can't pick the buyer's home inspection company, then, by golly, she wants to be there to rebut everything the home inspector might say about the home she is selling. At this point, I explained that would be in nobody's best interest, and more to the point, it may get her (and Jane and I) in front of a judge really, really quickly.

All of the sudden I was reminded of my of my sweet four year old nephew. Any time he doesn't want to do something, such as wash his hands, I just hang my head, sadly shake it back and forth, and say with a resigned sigh, as if it were a foregone conclusion and the Universe had already made the decision for him, "Sweetie, you have to." At which point, much to the astonishment of his parents, he will quickly and cheerfully take care of business. That is exactly how I handled Auntie.

In the end, two decisions were made. The first was, after the home inspection, Jane or I would travel over to the home and make sure it was locked tight, to abate Auntie's fear of someone breaking in. That made Auntie happy. The other decision, which I totally forgot to discuss with Auntie, was that nobody would tell her when the home inspection was taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment