Friday, September 20, 2019

Introvert Hell

I was invited to the Association's Leadership happy hour this past week. Which brings up a few interesting questions:

1. Why are my dues paying for a bartender?
2. What is the Association Leadership?

The answer to the first question I will let just hang. I sell houses. I deal with unreasonable people. I think I have earned a glass of wine once in a while. The answer to the second is a bit more ambigious.

So there is a "Leadership Class" at the local association. I am not sure exactly what they do. The classes are for 12 weeks once a year. You can only get into this class if you are nominated, fill out a crap ton of paperwork and then sit in front of a selection committee. If you pass muster with the selection committee you get an engraved invitation (or something) to join.

One can only be nominated by a Leadership Alumni, which is why I was there. I have been nominated.

This happy hour was the precursor to the remainder of the process, where I got to mingle with the members of the selection committee. Think Rush Week with more adult baggage and less Greek letters.

Anyway I was nominated. When this was brought to my attention I was being nominated, I was in the throes of possibly, maybe, probably moving to Fort Myers and I didn't readily commit. I wasn't against the idea of joining the 2020 Leadership Class, but I just could not think past the middle of September. When things settled down and Marty declined the job and then decided to stop job hunting, I revisited this gracious invitation. However I had no idea it required a happy hour and small talk.


No comments:

Post a Comment