Monday, September 9, 2019

What High-Strung Type A's Do

So I managed to spend three hours of my life signing up for an appraisal class. I should preference that by saying, I am taking it throught the community college instead of through the realtor school. That's ok, because I can go slower. It was pointed out that the last two times I took a class at this particular community college I got pregnant. In fact one time, I turned about six shades of green fifteen minutes into the instructor's lecture and then proceeded to run out of the room. And then I did so every 10 minutes or so for the next 14 weeks of class. But, I digress...

Speaking of going slower, signing up for this class took some sort of monumental act of patience on my part. You see, though I was in their system, the community college decided they could not let me into this class until I provided proof I was eligible to indeed attend their school. First, they demanded high school transcripts. I went to three high schools back in the 1980s. I graduated before the wheel was invented. Besides, as I pointed out to the unassuming student employee (who was young enough to be my child), even my kids, who are students there, didn't have to provide transcripts. They aren't necessary.

Well, if I wasn't going to hunt down my transcripts, I could provide my SAT or ACT score. No, I could not. Do people keep such things 35+ years later? Besides, when are SAT and ACTs required for junior college?

And, if all else fails, I could come in for a reading and writing test. Then they could enroll me.

Or, instead, I could just ask for someone in a position of authority, say a few honey-coated big syllable words and explain I am happy to pay my money just as soon as they open up my enrollment. And by the way, that worked.

Once that was underway, I went to log on to my class. And what do you know, there was a glitch. There was no record of me paying my money (from an hour earlier). After puttering around with the computer system, I did what any reasonable Type-A would do, I googled the instructor at his real job, and just called the dude. It wasn't his job to get these things done, but he managed to help me out. He also told me Assignment 1 was a getting to know you assignment.

So, when I finally started reading through everything, the computer screen had a blank Assignment 1. I looked over five other pages, all told me how to submit this particular lesson, but no guidelines on what was needed. Screw it. It is 10 points and has nothing to do with appraisals. I wrote the instructor a quick note, explaining nowhere was the guidelines of Assignment 1 documented, but if the general gist was hello, then I could do that. My second paragraph mentioned I was a licensed real estate agent, had two teenagers, a dog, cat and husband. I wrote some platitude about being excited to learn about appraising. Now that's done, I can dust off my knees and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment