Friday, September 20, 2019

Sleeping It Off

I am on the cusp of getting really ill. I know this because Buckaroo was really ill this week and I have the same symptoms. In fact, there was an incident in Jane's truck. It was gross. It confirmed what I already knew: he was sick. And now I am on the before-Jane's-truck-incident level of ill.

And I am a true delight.

Part of my annoyance is that as a real estate agent, I can't have personal problems in peace. Clients don't care one jolly darn what we might have going. If it doesn't affect them, it it irrelavant.

In the past two years I have been in urgent care for stitches with my phone ringing off the hook from folks who really could have waited a day or so for me to get back with them. I have done walk-throughs with strep throat. And I even dealt with a contract during the days after Bonus Mom passed.

I once had heat exhaustion* from showing homes and was ready to pass out. My folks wanted to see three more properties. And.... it was a buyer's market, so we had time. But no. It had to be then.

Early in my career, I once had a buyer call me at 5:30 a.m. demanding I get dressed and show them a property, right then and there. My kids were little. It had been a tough night at the Sunshine house. Sadly, I was awake, only because I hadn't gone to bed. I lost that client (who did not buy that house anyway) because every reasonable plea of, "let me call you back during business hours" made him more annoyed.

Right now I am in the early stages of what I know is to come and my clients are going to expect me to negotiate tonight. I know this. It comes with the territory. If I whine I am unprofessional. If I suggest I am ill to them, I am less credible. But I am also trying to work in their best interests. Sometimes their best interests is letting me sleep off an illness.

*I also once had heat exhaustion after I showed homes. Those folks were super-wonderful about it--so there are good folks too.

No comments:

Post a Comment