Friday, September 13, 2019

What They Never Tell You In Real Estate School

So tomorrow I am previewing a home. The agent mentions on his MLS listing about three times: the lockbox is on the gas meter.

Was this dude the last human being alive to know that one shouldn't hang anything from a fully functioning gas meter? I mean, I get my son is in fire fighter training and I learn all sorts of scary things, but even before he started regaling me with horror stories, I pretty much knew this was a no-brainer.

I called the agent and asked if the gas was on. Yep. When I asked if he would consider moving the lockbox to anywhere else, he was perplexed. I then proceeded to delicately explain to him that if the metal lockbox scraped against the metal gas meter it might cause a spark. And that could cause a boom. And that would be bad. In fact, it probably would deter his paycheck because the seller would have to rebuild the house. And buyers are kind of fussy about having a death on a property. And plus, I don't really feel like being involved in a fire caused by a gas explosion.

So, could he please move the lock box. Please.

And just to be sure I wasn't over-exaggerating, I checked with the family Fire Marshall and googled my concerns. Between the horror stories I found on the Internet and Buckaroo, I am going to go with my common sense was right.

Now I know what to do: simply be careful. I am not terribly worried I will cause a fire. But sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment