Wednesday, September 18, 2019

September's Community Outreach Committee Meeting



Median Art
Geez! It's September already???

Marty asked why I stay with this committee, because every meeting is one level higher of buffoonery than the next. There's a simple reason: I want to teach at the Association. If I were to leave my post before my one year obligation, it wouldn't reflect the best light, so I will tough out the next three meetings. After all, I came this far. Plus, nobody on that committee gives a crap if I am there or not, so why rock the boat and formally resign or draw attention to myself by being absent?

So we had a meeting yesterday. The meeting was overshadowed by my personal family buffoonery and chaos which prompted Jane to drag me to lunch where I could munch on onion rings and rub my temples. Gotta love Jane.

Anyway, I have mentioned Muffy, the committee chair. She is dismissive and arrogant. No wonder they have so much trouble getting members. I haven't mentioned Butch, the vice chair. He is one of those snark-monsters who has to make some sort of snide comment every time someone speaks. It shuts down the creative process and any empowerment. I hadn't payed attention to his behavior until yesterday, while I watched him do this to several other people. How has nobody noticed this? This entire group is a study in dysfunction. I would be annoyed if I wasn't utterly fascinated by this group dynamic.

Helping others
There were the usual issues, all of which nobody wants to solve (or those who want to resolve them  just don't speak up any more). We need lockboxes for the first responders in the various cities. We need to find a way to encourage agents who step foot into the Association to write letters to soldiers stationed overseas. We have a critical needs fund. I stopped being super-concerned about the critical needs fund when I found out there is more money in this fund than Marty and I make in a single year. Plus, They have only given away about 10 percent of those funds. The fund has money. They don't need people asking for donations this time of year.

Sure thing
Apparently this committee also collects Christmas trees and decorations for needy families. When I asked if we could possibly ask for ornament donations it was a "No." A single "donation" has to consist of: a 6" or taller Christmas Tree (not a small one!), decorations for the full tree, lights, a tree skirt and a non-religious tree topper. All or nothing! 

Oh yes! And the donation must include an extension cord. Otherwise, (as Butch said,) "Why bother doing this at all?"

I didn't shut up there, but I did after the next bit. We have been given a small monetary grant to be used to add value to our community. We are to spend this money to help in some capacity, but the direction was unspecific, other than it had to be for the "greater good" and to "help" others. On a whim, I suggested a couple of pergola-type structures to go over park playground equipment so kids could play outside a bit longer in the year. It wasn't my greatest idea. It was off the top of my head. I'm not attached to this. However, nobody else was giving suggestions. A few folks started talking about what we could do to make this work (translation: they weren't against it) until Butch made some rude comment and shut down the entire conversation. I would have been offended if I didn't already have one foot out the door.

Then, a friend of Muffy's said that the median at some remote intersection in the East Valley was "ugly" and maybe we could put some artwork there. After all is for the greater good and in order to "help" they will put a bench in the median so--and I am not making this up--the homeless will have a place to sit when they are asking for donations.

Oh... why not! 
This idea (which may or may not have merit) never went for discussion. Instead Butch and Muffy immediately agreed this was route we would be going. End of story. There was no vote. I asked for one, but Butch ignored me and Muffy called the meeting to a close. It was totally surreal. I would be annoyed except I have my own personal family buffoonery going on, which is much, much more surreal.

Three more meetings and then I am going to have to find something else to write about. These folks are nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment