Wednesday, June 10, 2020

I Would Have Preferred Polk County Missouri

One of the Many Critters to be Found in Polk County
The other day, Marty casually said, "That job I just put in for in Polk County looks really interesting." As I had no idea what he was talking about, I said, "job?"

"Yes," he replied--a little too enthusiastically for my taste--"how would you feel about Polk County?"

Now then, thanks to Google, I now know there are 12 Polk Counties in the United States. The one he was referring to was in the smack-middle of Florida. My answer was simply, "You know I will agree to live anywhere for five years."

But between you and me, it appears this Polk County has all of the unfortunate aspects of a swamp and none of the benefits of a beach. And truly, that is half my problem with Florida: swampland and the subsequent critters that go with it. I am not a fan of critters. If you add no beaches in sight, I see no redeeming value of Polk County Florida whatsoever. And frankly, Marty knows my opinion of Florida.

However, since we have just been through a lay-off, I stupidly asked the next question, "Why are you still applying for jobs?" Especially jobs in undesirable places?

Well, it turns out I have misread the tea leaves. It turns out there will be layoffs EVERY MONTH for the next several months. I thought there was one more lay-off coming towards the end of the summer. And, with only one more round to go, Marty was probably going to be ok when that lay-off came. But apparently, that's not the sadistic way Marty's company is playing the entire lay-off game. So, the odds have changed.

Right now, I am too focused on my upcoming adventures this month (two trips in the next two weeks plus teaching, a family party and a real estate closing). So, I have decided not to pay too much attention to Marty's next round of lay-offs or somewhat potential job interviews in Polk County.

No comments:

Post a Comment