Monday, April 27, 2020

The Quality of Mercy

Just a Word About Dee and Her Merry Felons:

Please understand, I don't agree with what Dee's Merry Felons did to get them where they are. I have never personally asked the ones I have known what they have done--though some have voluntarily given me a snapshot. It isn't pretty. 

Dee's program is discriminate. She doesn't take everyone who applies to be part of her Merry Felon Gang. But the ones who she does take in have to pass a vigorous screening. I know for a fact, I would never take on the kind of ministry Dee has. Never. Kudos for Dee for this calling. She may have saved more souls than she knows.

Incidentally, all of the Felons Dee hangs with have a positive attitude. They are kind and humble--at least around me. They say and do what is expected to better their lives. Isn't that what we all should be doing? Nothing in their behavior suggests they would make the same choices again. But I have to tell you, all of them I have met--no exception--have been a lot nicer to me than many of the law-abiding folks I have helped in the past 17 years buy and sell a house.

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The thronèd monarch better than his crown.
His scepter shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptered sway.
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings;
It is an attribute to God Himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this:
That in the course of justice none of us
Should see salvation. We do pray for mercy,
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy. I have spoke thus much
To mitigate the justice of thy plea,
Which, if thou follow, this strict court of Venice
Must needs give sentence 'gainst the merchant
there.
— Portia, The Merchant of Venice

No comments:

Post a Comment