Friday, October 6, 2017

Gina

See that red X with the circle around it on the right side of the map? That's the entire size of Gold Canyon.


So Gina has been calling me about the cute little duplex in Gold Canyon for days. The best day for her to have seen the property was Tuesday. However, Tuesday I cut myself and spent two hours at the urgent care. Gina was one of the three random people I spoke with my two hour stay who were pissy they were inconvenienced by my injury. After offering to reschedule, she flat out told me to "call her Saturday" if the place wasn't rented by the end of the week.

I didn't worry about calling Gina. My transportation situation is tenuous right now and an $800 rental on the outskirts of town is not a top priority when I have one strong candidate and one wishy-washy candidate who want the property. Nevertheless, Saturday hasn't arrived and Gina has been calling me daily to remind her to call her Saturday.

First, I cannot stress this enough: even for Gold Canyon, a two bedroom duplex is a steal at $800. This place is super-cute and whomever gets it will have a great place and ultra-low rent. Studio apartments in questionable neighborhoods in Phoenix go for around the same price. There are no questionable neighborhoods in Gold Canyon--unless you count where the coyotes jump the bunnies at night or where the raccoons steal the trash for the unsuspecting homeowner who didn't secure the lid on the outdoor rubbish can. That's the closest thing to crime in the area.

But, when one is looking at an $800 two bedroom duplex, one should have the right expectations. We aren't talking about a mega-mansion. We are talking about optimistically 950 square feet. Gina, who has called me repeatedly, has been asking all kinds of questions about the layout and amenities (none). Her last inquiry was how many bathrooms? I explained there was a  powder room downstairs and a full bathroom upstairs. "So it only has one shower? That's ridiculous! My roommate and I can't share a shower!" I didn't suggest they could take turns bathing, but whatever.

Today's chat--before 8 a.m. mind you, Gina back-pedaled on the one full bath and insisted on knowing who would be pay for the water. Telling Gina that would be a tenant responsibility did not sit well with her. "So the landlord won't pay my water bill?" she asked. Yep. You use the water. You pay it. The same goes for electricity and groceries. Fortunately, I didn't have to break Gina's heart and explain this.

Mind you, Gina has yet to see this house. And because I have yet to get an application on it (come one Tina and even flaky Dina!), it looks like I will be showing it first thing tomorrow.  Hopefully Gina's expectation's won't be crushed when she finds out there isn't an indoor swimming pool or a wine cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment