Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Dina

The only Judy I have ever liked is a real estate agent who specializes (apparently) in a sleepy little town of 10,000 on the outskirts of the Phoenix metro area called Gold Canyon. We have become friendly this past summer, as I somehow managed to show (but not rent out) a couple of her homes.

Judy has been busy of late and asked me if I would handle her rentals temporarily. Though I have four homes in escrow, a lack of consistent transportation and two teenagers who seem to require constant supervision, I somehow thought I had time and agreed to do so.

I was supposed to show Dina Judy's rental yesterday, but after a quick trip to the Urgent Care to close up the open cut on my right knuckle, I had to reschedule. Today, I got into the Flintstone Mobile and drove out to Gold Canyon to show Dina a cute little duplex.

It was 95 degrees when I landed in Gold Canyon. I had texted Dina when I left Mesa, and told her I expected to be on time. It felt like overkill, as I had talked to her two hours earlier and she set our time. Dina's attitude about what 1 p.m. looked like and the Roman Calendar were not in sync. She obliviously showed up 25 minutes late, totally unapologetic, as I stood out in the heat, waiting for her. It was actually cooler outside than in the duplex, as the owner didn't want to pay for electric. So, under a palo verde tree was my best bet.

Dina who was probably my age, after meeting her 30 seconds earlier, managed to give me her entire medical history. When I didn't show any sympathy she repeated the same old sorted tale. Mind you, she wanted to shake--twice--and when I reminded her about my hand, (grimacing as she rudely grabbed it anyway, squeezing on my wound), it didn't really slow her down.

I could tell immediately Dina was a train wreck. It isn't because I am a student of human nature. Frankly, I had heard various renditions of Dina's life from others in my former years as a landlord.  Dina had a sob story that included no discernible level of responsibility on her part. She promised she is a good tenant. She has good rental history. She said her credit might be a teensy bit bruised because of circumstances that weren't her fault. I asked about criminal background and she immediately changed the subject and went back to discussing her medical history.

Though she took an application, I doubt it will matter. I am showing the home again tomorrow and probably on Saturday too. And even if those folks aren't interested, Dina strikes me as disorganized enough that she will never get around to filling out the application anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment