Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A Tale of Two Clients

Client A is a right-brained Type-A, who after owning his beloved home for 28 years has opted to downsize. He and his Mrs. are moving to a new-build community in Florence, AZ because 1) it is cheap to live three miles from the Federal Prison and 2) everything in the new home is new and he doesn't have to deal with anyone else's idea of repairs. A proud homeowner, he considers himself a "hobbyist" and has done many do-it-yourself projects to his home he is selling.

Speaking of selling, before he hired a real estate agent, he read every Zillow story on "how to sell your home without an agent" and "knows"  what he is doing. He agreed (probably from the urging of his wife) to hire an agent (probably a friend of the family) and I would bet my cat it was only at a reduced commission.

Client A insisted on his price because Zillow said so. Comparable homes, the Taj Mahal, Buckingham Palace and the Vanderbuilt Mansion, are the only properties that measure up to his. Anything in his cookie-cutter neighborhood isn't a good comp. Meanwhile, he has contacted his agent at least ten times a day, asking why his home hasn't sold and why his agent hasn't done what he is paying (presumably a reduced) commission for his services. I am guessing part of the reason the agent hasn't lived up to Client A's expectations is because Client A keeps changing them when he micromanages. Client A is the seller of a home my buyers are purchasing.

Client B is my buyer, a slick sales guy who was remotely related to the real estate industry in 2004. He is convinced he is a master negotiator, and doesn't tell his agent or loan officer many details, instead allowing the above mentioned folks to draw causality from the breadcrumbs he intentionally sets out. He treats his wife the way he treats his agent and loan officer--arms length, him the ultimate authority. Client B is self-employed and likes to have an element of control. Period.

Meanwhile, the agents of Client A and B are trying to hammer out negotiations for the home inspection. Just so we are clear: the home price has been agreed upon, with the seller feeling like they "came down" on the price and are giving the home away. What is currently happening is Client B has asked for some repairs. Client A can say yes or no.

Part of the repairs is for a new roof because the roof report said the current roof is beyond its life expectancy. It is rotted in places. The underlayment is corroded and many, many tiles are broken. There is evidence of past leaks. Additionally, the buyer is asking for new fan motors on the 28 year old air conditioners to be replaced. The reason for this is that they don't work properly, even though Client A--the seller--doesn't seem to feel this is an issue because cold-ish air blows through the ducts.

There are a few other repairs, like a poorly installed gas hot water heater that is a complete and total fire hazard as well as significant termite issues. Also, there were many other items that weren't asked for that should have been, like pool equipment that is about a foot under grade and if there is a leak, or a heavy rain, it would be partially submerged.

All of the above is to tell you about the phone call I got today. The agent of the seller (Client A) called, inquired about my health, life in general and all sorts of pleasantries one usually reserves for delaying the inevitable bad news. I don't know the other agent, but I feel for him. His client calls him all day, every day. When he doesn't get a call back within five minutes (even at 11 p.m. at night), he begins to text. It isn't that the seller is anxious, it is just that he has control issues.

Anyway, the gist of the repair request is the seller doesn't agree that any of this needs to be done and he is being a tad defensive. I considered this good news because I am a bit annoyed with my client right now and hope this falls out of escrow. My client may have said some things that could, if pressed be construed as misrepesenting their position. However, the selling agent (who happens to be a broker) says, "This sale has got to go through. I do not want this to go back on the market and I don't want to deal with this man any longer. What do your buyers want? Name it and I will see if I can make it happen."

I can't tell you about why I want this to fall out of escrow, but I really hope it does, because it won't close if this sale goes forward under these terms. But, for now I have to play along. If it stays in escrow it is because, with my buyer's blessing, I threw out the most outrageous negotiating item I possibly could, thinking there is no way anyone would agree to this. However, it would be the ONLY way this sale would go through. When I told the selling agent what I was asking for, he sounded like an eager puppy. "I will see what I can do and get back to you. I promise!"

No comments:

Post a Comment