Sunday, June 10, 2018

The Realtor Community

One of my biggest concerns about opening a brokerage was that I don't know what I don't know. Since January I spend a lot of time reading real estate case law and checking out, "this happened" stories that the local Realtor associations put out. What I am learning is extraordinarily fascinating for this contract-nerd, but it also scares the stuffing out of me.

However, I am so happy and grateful for all of the support I get from others in my industry. The seller calling me this week could have likely been an ethics violation against me. It was stupid to tell him, yes, go ahead and take the wallpaper off the walls. When I talked to the seller's broker about it (I called him to tell him what I had done), he and I laughed and shared some war stories. It was a relief to a situation that could have been extremely ugly.

A couple of times I have called other brokers I know, including El Jefe, to ask a question or two. The last call to El Jefe came with a, "You are a broker, figure it out." I pointed out it was nice he finally acknowledged I had my broker's license, as I had it when I worked for him too. "Touche'. What can I help you with?" he replied. Then he told me what I already knew, which was nice validation I was on the right path.

Mrs. Hufflepuff has been extremely gracious and I greatly appreciate it. She wants me to come work for her someday. It is a compliment, actually. Just like it is a compliment when an agent or two approaches me and asks if they can hang their license with my company.

I love how supportive and inclusive, as an industry real estate agents are. We all have a common goal--work for our clients. But, for the most part, we are friendly and helpful. I have fielded as many calls from other agents with questions as I have dished out over the years. I am happy to help anyone who approaches me. I consider it my obligation. I may be a one-woman business, but I am glad to know I am not out here alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment