Sunday, June 24, 2018

Precautions

Once upon a time, around 2008 when vacant homes were plentiful, I was selling houses. Well, I was selling about as many homes as the next agent. But I was considered active in real estate.

Anyway, I had an investor who was looking for a rental property. One day, with nothing better to do, I swung by a home I knew he was interested in. It was in Apache Junction, on the way to nowhere. I didn't tell anyone I was going out there. I didn't call Marty once I arrived and gave him the address. It is safe to say, nobody knew where I was.

I walked into this vacant home and looked around. Living room. Kitchen right behind the back wall with a door to the back yard. Yep, looked ok to me. I checked the kitchen one more time. The stove and dishwasher were still there.

Moving on to the back of the house, to my left were the two secondary bedrooms. One door was open, one closed. No worries. I know what bedrooms look like. To my right was the hall bathroom and the door to the master bedroom. I walked into the master bedroom and farther into the room towards the master bathroom when I heard the closet door open in that secondary bedroom with the door closed. It was a clear, distinct sound that one could not mistake for anything else. And then I heard a sneeze.

Quickly, I started talking as if I were on the phone, "Oh Mary... Great I will see you and Greg at the house in what? Two minutes? You are right around the corner? That's great... I will meet you outside..." I said all these things as I quickly walked back to the front door. In no time flat I was in my car, doors locked and on the road.

Since then I make very sure to put on my calendar the address I am going to, the phone number of the client I will be with and whatever particulars necessary. I text Marty when I arrive. He is to call me if he doesn't hear from me in 10 minutes of our first communication. I then alert him when I leave. If I am previewing homes, I will put the list of each home on my calendar and send the addresses to Marty. I have been doing this practice for ten years.  It might not save my life, but it will at least tell the police where to find me.

And finally, I knock or ring the doorbell when I go to a vacant home. For the most part, someone squatting in a vacant home doesn't want to be found, any more than I want to find them. I am good with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment