Monday, June 25, 2018

The Easiest Sale I Ever Had With Diamond Jim

In the midst of all the other craziness last week, Diamond Jim's home closed with its own fair share of nuttiness. In fact, there was as much drama in Diamond Jim's last week of the sale as there was in the first week it went into escrow. It was the weeks in between that were peaceful.

First, I went over to Diamond Jim's home last Tuesday. I was physically in the property. Marty, Buckaroo, Polly and Jane were in the property. We all saw the condition of this house. By the time Calvin the Awesome arrived on the scene Wednesday night for his client's final walk-through, there was a different story to tell. Of course, that changed, once again on Thursday when the house closed. I am in the market for a used and reliable time machine to go back to last Tuesday, just in case you know anyone selling.

Some time between when I was there last Tuesday and when Calvin the Awesome arrived on Wednesday night, Diamond Jim's sister--mind you, she is in her 70s and just as ornery as her dear brother--showed up with some "charitable" organization and they helped themselves to all the remaining items in the home.

That wouldn't have been such an issue if they were actually entitled to all of the remaining items. Such things as the bookshelves, desk and a few other items were negotiated and were set aside for the buyers. Unfortunately, when I found out Sis was at the house, I called and she didn't answer. Then I texted and told her to leave everything. I thought that was a no-brainier. In my defense, if I had gotten into the car and drove over, I would have been too late anyway.

But, that's not all! Someone from the time I left last Tuesday to the time Calvin the Awesome showed up on Wednesday had pulled the garage door up, and managed to rip the garage door opener and brackets holding the garage door off the wall. This was done from the outside, by forcibly pushing the garage door towards the roof. This is a retirement neighborhood. Nobody touched the tools in the back tool shed (which now belong to the buyer), but someone took the time to RIP THE GARAGE DOOR OPENER AND BRACKETS HOLDING THE GARAGE DOOR OFF THE WALL! I suspect, as does Diamond Jim Junior, it was the "charitable" organization that Sis met at the house. Instead of using her key to enter, they broke in through the garage door (they could have even called me to let them in, I would have been happy to do so).

Speaking of charitable, when the house closed on Thursday, I got another call from Calvin the Awesome. He said he was at the house at that very moment. There were now the former bookshelves in a heap of splinters on the side of the home. They weren't there the day before. And now these once-bookshelves are nothing more than kindling.

"Its like someone just threw them off the back of a truck," Calvin naively said.

And worse, remember that garage door? From the time Calvin the Awesome and his lovely (and patient) clients left on Wednesday night to the time they arrived on Thursday to move into their new home, not only was there a scrap heap in the side yard, but someone had taken the time to bash the garage door in. There were footprints a few feet up the side of the garage door and it had been visibly kicked in about seven or eight inches. Again, like someone was trying to get in. Perhaps the assailant's intention was to lovingly set the bookshelves in the garage?

Junior and I ruminated whether or not Diamond Jim perhaps took an Uber to the house and kicked the garage door in. Probably not, I pointed out, he can't use his smart phone. "He could call a taxi," Junior countered.  I don't think it was Diamond Jim. Last I spoke with him (last month), he didn't remember where his old home was, much less have the strength to do that kind of damage.

In the end, the buyers elected for the sale to go forward without any recourse. I think they are owed recourse. Junior thinks so too. He said he will probably send them a check for a new garage door opener.  That's very sweet of him.

This week Diamond Jim gets the proceeds from his home sale. I am told he is buying a vehicle and moving to Oregon. I don't know the reality behind that. I will probably call him when I get back from Bonus Mom's memorial in a few weeks. Right now I am not ready to deal with what I have coming for abandoning him in this sale. That's more unnecessary drama I don't need right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment