Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Alfred is Leaving the Bat Cave

The Latest Go-To Destination, Meadview AZ
Many years ago when I first got into the business, I was selling a piece of land in a subdivision. One day I got a phone call from Alfred. He had a lot down the street and he was thinking about selling it. But more to the point of his phone call, he had called six agents and I was the first one who answered the phone.

Alfred and I have stayed in touch since that day. I know all about Alfred's mother, who passed away about 10 years ago. I have heard about his brother in San Diego and his sweet nieces. And, I have heard loads about Alfred's job. Alfred works for the Wayne family as a valet. He has been living in Santa Barbara with them for years, helping out Master Bruce and the gang. A few years ago I sold the Wayne family's home in Chandler.

Through the course of time, I hear from Alfred on occasion. When the big fires hit a couple of years ago in Santa Barbara, I found out Grandmother Wayne, the matriarch, was moved about two hours before her residence burned to the ground. She is now holed up in some 10,000 square foot hovel in Carpenteria.

Sometimes when Alfred comes into town on Wayne business he calls to say hello. Sometimes he just calls to say hello when he isn't in town. It is always fun to hear the latest in his life. Even as I write this, I am smiling. Alfred brings out the smiles in me.

A couple of days ago, Alfred called me. He wants to retire in Meadview Arizona and he wanted me to be his agent. I had no Earthly idea 1) there was a Meadview Arizona and 2) where it could possibly be. It turns out it is an hour North of Kingman and two hours East of Las Vegas, for those of you dying to know. It looks like harsh desert and I am not about to attempt to do business up there. I told Alfred as much. I would be learning on his dime and that wasn't fair to anyone.

I did find Alfred a loan officer. I also found him (through a bit of digging) an agent. I am not asking for a referral fee from the agent on the less than $70,000 house he is looking to buy.

Alfred has been calling me though. He was wondering if he should just not use the agent so he can get a "better price." Dear Heavens, NO! Alfred lives in Santa Barbara. He knows nothing about the Mojave Desert. He doesn't know about water rights or building practices in Meadview Arizona. He doesn't know about environmental concerns and possible expansive soil issues. He doesn't know about possible land leases or what are the egress rights for crossing through the West Rim of the Grand Canyon to get to Meadview. For that matter, neither do I!

I know just enough to ensure I want to talk to Alfred for another 16 years. So, I want to make sure he was in super-capable hands. So please Alfred, listen to your new agent. She's got your back.






No comments:

Post a Comment