Thursday, May 16, 2019

Dave The Carpet Guy

I met Dave the Carpet Guy over the phone when he called me while sitting with Liam and Inga. Turns out, he had this super-duper exciting idea he wanted to throw at me: list their home for $10,000 more than we were planning and then offer a carpet allowance for a full-price offer.

You see, Dave the Carpet Guy was once a loan officer. Back in the day, lenders didn't mind "carpet allowances." They do now. However, Inga and Liam simply LOVED the idea of listing their home for $10,000 more than any other home in the given square mile. Especially because the carpet guy said that was a good idea.

Meanwhile, I was back in my basement office 45 miles away, listening to Dave on speaker phone sell my clients on this nonsense.

"Take me off speaker, Dave." was my only reply.

In the end, I managed to convince Dave not to say such things to unsophisticated sellers, on tight budgets. And for the love of all that is holy, he is sitting in this house and why on earth would he suggest they can get $10,000 more for their house when he hasn't run the comps and he can see what I am up against? And while we are on the subject, because he already managed to convince my clients to purchase carpet, maybe he could throw in flooring in the living room--which was the only room that actually needed the carpet--at his cost.

"Yea, I can do it for $637 dollars," he said.

"How about $400," I countered and Dave agreed. I saw the invoice. They really did pay $400 when all was said and done.

Dave and I are now Facebook friends. He invited me to join a referral group he had going. I did, and got a public shout-out from him to the group. Also, I just sent him three carpet leads.

Dave is also a Yankees fan. Bless his heart. We just agree to disagree on that one.

I will tell you the one sweet story that came out of this. Inga and Liam independently told me Dave shared with them I was a good agent. He said I was looking out for them and it showed. I am pleased I got the kudos from him. And I am even more pleased Liam and Inga thought to share this with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment