Wednesday, May 8, 2019

I Take It Back

Maybe it does take a village to close a real estate transaction.

This morning I met Ari, his loan officer and my title agent in South Chandler for Ari's signing. In Arizona, one generally doesn't sign and close on the same day. If there is a reason for this to happen, it has a lot more to do with the lending side than any other reason, but I digress.

As agents, we should attend our client's signings. Most of the time I sit there, hanging out and smiling, glad my folks have done whatever they need to do to get to what led them to the chair in the title office. Sometimes (rarely) the loan officer comes and most of the time, he has nothing to do either.

Except today. Today we were busy.

Let me just say this: the loan officer drove 77.4 miles (I googled it--he lives on the way West side of town) to be at this 8:30 a.m. signing. And I want this on record: I take back almost everything I said about him.

Ari's settlement statement had a few errors on it. They were items the loan officer and I caught at signing, and because he (the loan officer) was there, he was able to call his folks at the bank and get everything immediately fixed. There was also a problem with the promissory note. Had the loan officer not been there, I would have advised Ari not to move forward--not that Ari needed any encouragement to sign an incorrect promissory note. However, once again, the loan officer was able to take care of the issue and another one was issued. Neither of these tasks could have been handled without hands-on assistance from this guy.

Now then, these are both issues that should have never gotten this far, but let's just overlook that. The point is, if the loan officer hadn't been at Ari's signing, Ari would still be homeless. I would also be calling the other agent and begging for another extension.

Anyway, if all goes well--and what could possibly go wrong?--Ari will be a home owner by 5 p.m. today.

No comments:

Post a Comment