Saturday, August 24, 2019

The Devil We Know

I love it up here. 

I am in Michigan. I have been to most every part of Michigan since Tuesday. Is it really only Saturday?

Right now I am at the dining room table in this amazingly charming 1936 cottage. Bonus Dad is in a recliner on his laptop. Neither of us are talking. Instead, we are both comfortably sharing a space, doing our own thing. Out the window, I have a view of the lake, where the loons and geese are hanging out. Today's high might be 75 degrees.  All is right in this little patch of the world. This is the way summer should be.

Yesterday morning, Marty accepted a job in the swamp. I got the news while we (Bonus Dad, his son and I) were in Iron Mountain--which is on the border of Wisconsin in the Upper Michigan Peninsula (More on that trip later). I then spent the next three hours of our trip across the UP (Upper Peninsula) when I had cell service, texting and e-mailing those who needed to know. I talked to investors, contractors and family. I called Uncle Sunshine. I asked Bonus Dad if I could stay until October instead of going home and packing up my life (He said sure!). In between those chats, texts and calls, I enjoyed the view of Lake Michigan next to Highway 2. Blue skies, blue water and green trees.

This morning, Marty called me at 4:50 a.m. his time to tell me he changed his mind. This wasn't the right time/opportunity or something. In any case, he has chosen to unaccept a job he accepted. We aren't moving. I asked him to please stop the job hunt for now. It is hard on the kids. It is hard on my digestive track. It is hard on friends and family who are riding this roller coaster with us.

Because Marty works for a defense contractor who just saw some astronomical loss from their commercial division, who knows if he has a job in six months. That's ok. We will deal with that then. But we will deal with it in the Phoenix metro area.

Eventually we will leave AZ. I don't like it there. It is too hot. It is too crowded. But for now it is home. It is the devil I know. Eventually I will meet the angel I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment