Friday, August 30, 2019

Why I Write (and Sometimes Drink)

About an hour ago, I asked my friend Kaye the Broker for a level-check. Should I be some level of furious that the title company called my condo sellers into sign without sending me the settlement statement AND not telling me they were coming into sign in the first place? You know, in case I wanted to check the numbers first AND wanted to go with my clients? That, by the way, would be my job and what my clients hired me to do. 

Her reply was, "Be tactful."

I am not feeling tactful at the moment, so I settled for an e-mail to the title officer saying, "How awesome they got to sign! Any chance I could see the settlement statement please?"

See! I said please.

And lest you think that was a wee bit snarky, after 51 years, that was as tactful as I could muster. Not sorry. But then again, I haven't seen the settlement statement just yet either. So, my level of decorum can possibly go down. Fortunately, I know how to soften a blow with three little words, "Bless your heart..."

This is the second awful transaction in a row I have had with this particular title and escrow company. In both cases, the buyer picked the title company. Per the contract, they have that right. However, I think at this point, I am going to start pushing back on this particular contract item. I hate incompetence. I my sellers may potentially be put into a harmful situation (what on earth did they sign???). I hate that I need to be tactful to a high-level of incompetence. Stuff like this gives the real estate industry a bad name with the public.


No comments:

Post a Comment