Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Babs

Babs has asked me to help find her a rental house. I didn't say no. But I'm not totally invested in doing this. But first, if I have EVER helped you find a rental or rented out your home for you--I am not talking about you. I promise. 

Now then, I hate rentals. I hate them for a variety of reasons, but mostly because the average renter carries around baggage they don't want to share with a potential landlord but they do wear their sense of entitlement on a neon sandwich board for the world to see. Most renters (not talking about you, friend with the cats) feel that looking for a home when they are on the verge of being homeless is a shopping experience that should be savored, week by week. That's all well and good if 1) there were several homes to choose from, but as I might have mentioned, we have an inventory issue right now in the Valley and 2) I get paid about $50 when all is said and done for the three weeks of being lied to and treated like garbage by said potential renter. 

I've had potential rental clients forget they had felonies, bankruptcies, questionable animals, no job and bad credit--even when I've repeatedly asked prior to going out looking. 

Which brings me to Babs. Babs is a 20+ year acquaintance. She doesn't drive. Though she's in her 60s, adulting doesn't seem to be her thing. My take is her life is a bit of a train wreck, but that's only from what I can glean from the big red flags she throws down every time I talk to her. 

Babs wants me to find a, "house with a pool in a nice neighborhood," for under $1,100 a month. I've repeatedly told her I don't decide what a "nice neighborhood" looks like for her. I've also told her what I can find for $1,100 a month doesn't have a private pool--unless you count the blue plastic thing you can get at Wal-Mart. Incidentally, what she can truly afford is $800 a month. 

About twice a week I throw together a list of what I find and send it out. She rejects them all--as would any sensible individual who likes intact roofs and neighborhoods without gang graffiti. 

I've told her to please look at Craigslist, apartments and other types of sources as well as my list. Babs says I'm not trying very hard. She's partially right. I have a reminder on my phone. Twice a week I pull up the MLS and push a button. That's as much work as I'm willing to put into Bab's search until I see more of a realistic commitment from her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment