Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Jeanie

Every so often, I get a random call from a stranger, asking for help. Yesterday is was Jeanie. She has a doozy too. Her son is currently incarcerated in another state. He gets out next year. Then, he needs a place to live. Given the nature of his crime, finding him a rental is probably out of the question. Landlords--especially in this market--have standards, and past sins are a barrier to entry in the renting market. I suspect even landing an apartment might be a bit of a stretch for this guy. 

Because of the nature of his crime, one Jeanie swore was a "mistake," Jeanie's HOA will not let him live where they live. I suggested that perhaps Jeannie might be willing to buy something for her dear son to live in. A possibility, but prices are through the roof and where? 

Jeanie's idea was that if she could buy some land, perhaps they could stick a tiny house or a mobile home on it. She sent me a vacant lot for sale behind the State Capital and asked what I thought of this. Oh... how I hate that question. 

The lot in question was the back yard of another bit of property, that looked to be sold off relatively recently. I am not sure how zoning would feel and told her she needed to get their approval before she did anything else. After all, this might not be a legally subdivided plot. I also told her to make sure power and water are on the property. It will cost a lot of money to run sewer pipes to raw land. And then I dropped this gem on her: I would not represent her in a land sale. I have sold land in the past, but I know enough about this bit of crazy to realize she needs someone smarter than me to help her with it. 

We ended as friends, with me offering to help her find someone who will assist her in buying a $20,000 plot of land the size of my basement. I also suggested she drive around that neighborhood to make sure it is suitable. Because, I am suspecting she may change her mind.  


No comments:

Post a Comment