Thursday, December 7, 2017

Ronnie and I are Breaking Up

I talked to Ronnie for a while this morning. I think we are going to go in different directions. We will still be friends and the, "Hey can you help me with this client tomorrow?" partners the way we have for the past fifteen years. We just won't be working for the same broker. We will still talk often. But she wants a big, fancy company with name recognition. There is only one big, fancy company with name recognition I would consider (I have interviewed with them all). It happens to be the same one she is considering, but I am not sure I truly want big and fancy. I have done that before and I don't see value in it the way Ronnie does.

So, now my path is (for the moment) a bit less cluttered and my decisions are based on what I need to do to grow and maintain my business and Ronnie's decisions are based on what she needs to do to grow and maintain her business. We are long-time friends. We love each other. But, even yesterday when we sat down to talk (for the ten minutes we had before El Jefe showed up), it was clear to me we needed different things at this point in our careers. It was clear to her too.

This decision of how to begin this new season in my business is going to take some time. My impulse is to just go for it and start my own brokerage. But there are factors I need to consider. Starting my brokerage needs to make financial sense. I haven't really had time or the resources to make this decision.

Today I have an interview with a company I am about 95 percent sure I will not join. Next Monday I have an interview with another company where I will not lay odds if I would move my license for them. I will not change companies for anything commission less than I am making now. And to be fair, any brokerage I look at has to offer me something I can't get from doing this myself. That "something" doesn't have to be money, but it has to be meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment