Monday, December 18, 2017

The Forensic Accountant

As a celebration to the beginning of Marty Sunshine's two week vacation, we went and met with a new accountant today. I proudly gave him my last few tax returns and explained the complexities we had with our accidental business. We casually mentioned the reason we were looking for a new accountant was because our dear friend Diamond Jim was retiring.

The accountant looked through last year's tax returns, taking notes. He rubbed his eyes a few times and ran his hand through his hair, while he gritted his teeth. I optimistically pointed out that our taxes won't be nearly as complicated going forward. So, it looks like it can only go up from here, right??

Unfortunately, we aren't going forward. We are going backwards. Mr. CPA will be doing some forensic accounting. Forensic accounting is kind of a thing! Who knew?

There are some odd gaps in our tax return from last year. I am not surprised by this, as I lived the hell that was tax season 2017 with Diamond Jim. But still, it was painful to hear. Right now I need to provide Mr. New CPA with some documents that I am pretty sure don't exist, because Diamond Jim's files this last year are a bit sketchy. We also need to consider making a quarterly payment January 15. But I wasn't surprised to hear that either. Truly the biggest surprise was that Mr. New CPA agreed to take us on as clients.


No comments:

Post a Comment