Monday, May 25, 2020

A Day in the Life

I have a buyer who wants to look at new build subdivisions in the West Valley. A "new build" subdivision for those of you not in the biz, is a new construction--that is, a brand new home where nobody (recently) has lived. New schools. New roads. New electricity.

For those of you who are in the biz, you know this, right?

Anyway, though I am familiar enough with this part of the world to hold my own, I don't have intimate knowledge of specific communities. So, I went to the experts. I posted the following question on the super-secret realtor-only (ONLY) Facebook site. Here is what I wrote: "I am looking for new build communities only in Goodyear/Buckeye/Litchfield Park. Recommendations please."

Honest to Pete, I thought that was pretty specific. Most people actually gave me the names of communities for me to look into. Then there were the two who just couldn't get it together.

The first told me she was a neighborhood expert and a great agent and if I wasn't working with a real estate professional she would be happy to represent me. She even put down her phone number so we could have a friendly chat. Fortunately, someone else pointed out that I posted this note in the realtor only (ONLY) FB site, so therefore I happened to be a realtor.

Then there was the other person who responded. Mrs. Hufflepuff. She just happens to have a listing out there and she thought it would be perfect for my buyer--though she has no idea who my buyer is or what they want. The fact she has a listing means the house is not new. It also means she wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, I did not respond. Not to be deterred. Mrs. Hufflepuff then blew up my phone with messages about how I should show her listing. When I mentioned my client was looking for a new build, Mrs. Hufflepuff then went on about how my client might want to reconsider because the prices in the West Valley were going to be too expensive. I didn't respond to that either, because Mrs. Hufflepuff has no idea if I am working with a pauper or millionaire.

I now have a nice list of places to check out, thanks to the other folks who were paying attention to my post. Incidentally, after some consideration, I have decided to let my client choose whether or not for me to represent him in the West Valley. I know the area. I know the home builders but if he isn't comfortable with my limited knowledge of the specific neighborhoods I would rather I find someone he is comfortable working with. I will give him that option tomorrow. Hopefully he will still choose me. But I think it is fair to make that offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment