Saturday, May 9, 2020

Adventures with an Old Friend

Note: if I have EVER helped you once or twice (or more) with a rental, it is because I like you and I didn't mind one teeny bit. I know two of you who have access to this blog may fall into this category. I'm not talking about you. I promise. 

I have a friend of 26+ years who is looking for a rental. She needs to move by June 30. Because 1) she is moving to a completely different area of town that she knows nothing about and 2) I like her bunches and spending time with her is always a treat therefore, I am willing to let her look at a couple properties sooner than later.

As with everyone I work with, expectations have been set. As with friends who hire their real estate friends, they (most of the time) ignore the professional advice given. Then again, how can you possibly take your realtor-friend seriously when she has dragged your drunk ass out of a bar back in 1995?

Just to be clear: I will make enough to fill up my gas tank when I eventually get paid on this rental for day in the heat and about 10 hours of paperwork--and that's just if she finds one today. But again, I really, REALLY love this old friend. Spending the day with her is worth more than the $3.87 I will net. She's worth it.

Except for this next part, which is never worth it.

Anyway, like all soon-to-be-homeless renters, my friend took this as an invitation to go house shopping, sending me 17 properties she wants to see today. Of course, it is the weekend and property managers don't answer their phones on the weekend. Plus, there are tenants in many of these, who all are required a 2 day notice. And let's talk about the vacant homes, no landlord is going to hold a rental for seven weeks. Then there is this whole virus-thingy going around, that causes concern about strangers in homes even for those who aren't immune compromised.

Anyway, I am about to select a few homes from her list that meet her criteria that we can see today. I suspect she is going to be disappointed in her options.


No comments:

Post a Comment