Saturday, May 30, 2020

Zooming

Where the Magic Happens
The last time I taught a virtual training was in 2011 when I worked for a moving company. I was a corporate trainer, teaching unsuspecting folks how to handle call center calls. Not gonna lie to you. I was good at it. But it paid diddly compared to what real estate paid. When the real estate market picked up enough that I was spending my 15 minute breaks in the stairwell, negotiating contracts, and I was making more on one real estate sale than I was for three months of training, it was time to consider my life choices. But I have to tell you, I really liked being a trainer.

Anyway, I had a zoom class on the purchase contract today. It would be awesome if I could share with you how I spent the entire week setting up for this. But, with Marty's employment situation, Steve's sale and a plethora of other craziness, I was a bit distracted. I did manage to go over the materials a few times. I also had Beth get on as a zoom participant once. And I had Polly and Jane on as a zoom meeting a couple of times to make sure the lighting was correct and I could maneuver through the controls well enough to look competent.
Temporary. I can't wait to
have a clean room! 

In my bedroom, hard-wired into my internet, I have set up a zoom classroom. I have two computer screens, a camera and a ton of materials for my class. Behind me I took my best green tablecloth and used it as a backdrop so that I could have a nicer background. I played with the lighting six ways from Sunday to ensure I was visible. In the end, the "best lighting" meant I had three lamps on and the bedroom door had to be open about 18 inches only. No more no less.

The class was ok. Not my best (my second time teaching, so that tells you something). But given how we had to do it and I only saw expressionless faces staring at me I can't complain. I was asked a few questions so I know they were listening. There were other challenges that I am not sure I want to process right now too. But, overall, it was a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment