Thursday, May 21, 2020

Needless Paperwork

Steve wanted to see a house. The agent replied to my request announcing that only after I sent over the signed "Covid-19 hold harmless forms" would he grant the showing.

Now then, there is no hold harmless cooties form. There is no hold harmless measles form. There is no hold harmless head lice/small pox/athlete's foot form either. But some brokerage somewhere now has a form that only the buyer signs (but not the agent or anyone else walking through the house with the buyer) saying they will not sue if they get Covid-19 from someone affiliated with the house. It doesn't say the seller won't accuse and sue the buyer (or buyer's agent) if they get Covid.

Anyway, I got annoyed.

However, my job is to do what my client wants. So, I called my client, explained the form, and read it word for word to him. "Do you want me to send this to you for you to sign?" I asked.

It turns out, Steve and I are of the same mind on this one. No. He did not want to proceed.

I told the agent my client would be passing on the house--but I did not explain why. The agent wrote back, "I don't see the problem. I've had 30 agents turn this form in." Sure he has. If he has had 30 buyers walk through his listing with no offer, there is a bigger problem with this house than potentially catching Covid.


No comments:

Post a Comment