Sunday, May 17, 2020

We Got The Ice Maker Fixed

Throwing Caution to the Wind

One of the crap byproducts of waiting to find out if the head breadwinner of the household will be employed in a couple of weeks is that decisions for life basics are on hold. Such as, do we buy another car or couches? Or, do we fix the broken ice maker if there is a chance we are moving? And, my favorite, should we prune the front shrubs if we have to sell? Because, I have to tell you, when we prune those shrubs they look awful for a few weeks.

The truth is, if Marty Sunshine doesn't have a job in the near future, he will take anything reasonable, anywhere. Does that mean we stay where we are? Well, we live in a metro area of 5 million where the economy is doing well and so is housing. So, if there are jobs here, sure. Why not! But if there aren't forthcoming jobs? We don't.

Or, what if all he finds here is contract work? That means I need to find a job so I can provide the health insurance. That is a whole different discussion and not one for now. But a very real possibility. Local contract work at Marty's skill level is plentiful right now. Stable Marty-type jobs aren't.

The idea of moving and living this frustration (AGAIN Damnit!) isn't good for the digestion or anyone's pleasant demeanor. We went through a dry rehearsal with moving to Florida last year for fun, but this one may be for keeps. Though he is diligently looking locally, once in a while Marty will have his nose buried in his computer and pop his head up and say something like, "I found a position that is a really good fit. How far is the closest Costco from Liberal Kansas?"

As I explained to Polly today, I have no idea what the future holds for us. The layoff list is already made. It just won't be announced for two more weeks. Marty may not be on it, which may make our anxiety and frustrations as moot as this blog post. I am at a point where I would like to plan something--anything. Can I meet Jane in Vegas next month? Can I go to the Midwest for Bliz's birthday or visit Bonus Dad this summer? Can I just restock my freezer and buy new business cards? Too soon to tell. Two weeks from now I will have those answers. But right now we just have to live with ugly shrubs and fresh ice.

Note: There is another facet to this. What if he doesn't get laid off but finds a good fitting job somewhere from all the applications he is putting out there? I suspect he might consider it. But I will cross that bridge if and when it comes to it. I am not against finding a different state to live in. I would rather wait a little bit longer. We have fathers in their 80s and a son in EMT school. That's all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment