Saturday, May 30, 2020

Six Little Words

Thursday afternoon Marty got an e-mail from his boss declaring they would be having a, "private-one-on-one" conversation about his employment Friday morning. Nothing else was added and his boss could not be reached for further clarification.

Thursday night, Marty flopped all night like a swordfish in a bucket of water. And because he was tossing and turning, so was I. At 4:30 I finally got up and went outside to watch the sunrise, hoping to give him a few more hours of sleep.

All morning there was speculation. Was he gainfully employed or not? The kids asked questions we could not answer. I had to leave but asked of him if he does get a layoff notice not to discuss this with the kids until he and I have time to talk.

I pulled into the parking lot for my appointment with Steve and the Builder at 10:15 only to immediately receive a text: "I have a job for now." I couldn't ask a lot of details at that moment, but it was enough to unclench my jaw. This stress from the last month was maddening and those six words managed to drain that anxiety right out of me.

Oh, his boss did want to talk to him about the layoff situation. He told him what was happening and how the internal process was working. There is more employment news to come in following months. Plus, there are rumors floating around that some of Marty's team were not so lucky. But it looks like Marty is ok for the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment