Friday, May 22, 2020

Facts of Life with Buckaroo

At the gym yesterday, I cautioned Buckaroo not to go too hard on his weights. He was straining, and it seemed to me that he was trying to lift about 30 pounds more than he should. Now then, a mother publicly telling her 17 year old son to take it easy on anything, never goes well--especially if I am the mother and Buckaroo is the son. But I persisted.

"Look, I don't want you to hurt yourself. If Dad gets laid off, we may not have health insurance so please pay attention to how much you are lifting."

Buckaroo rolled his eyes, "Dad isn't getting laid off," was his comment.

"Dad seems to be under the impression there's a good chance he will be," I countered.

That got Buckaroo's attention. His eyes got wide and all of the sudden, the reality that we have been living under became clearer. "Oh," he said softly. "I didn't realize you all were serious."

Of course, Buckaroo didn't lessen his weights, but he was a lot more careful with his reps and let me spot him from that point forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment