Saturday, May 22, 2021

Fiji Here I Come

We are up to six offers. I am expecting three more. Just got a text. Now, four more. My head hurts. I have printed (because the Department requires) a small rainforest of contracts, addendums, prequals and miscellaneous reams full of words that nobody will ever read. I feel sad for the buyers who have hope and no chance. There are a few of them. 

Currently there are two offers that stand out. Neither are the highest priced. Both are clean, and ask for little. The agents seem to know what they are doing. Neither picked the title company I would prefer, but one has picked a title company I have used several times. 

I am watching this unfold, hearing about the stories from the camera doorbell my seller is listening to when the buyers leave. There are going to be homeless disappointed folks. 

One aspect of this I am enjoying is talking shop with other agents. I can't answer how much is the highest offer (it doesn't matter anyway, because the two highest offers were written in purple crayon and missing a few key details). I am unable to share what the other contracts' terms and conditions are (but come on! If you want your buyer to win, don't ask for the seller to pay for your buyer's closing costs). I like talking shop. I like sharing war stories and having friendly chats with like-minded folks. I have started telling the agents I am chatting with, "Hey, just because you and I are having a great conversation, in no way means you have an edge against the other offers that have come in." I hate reminding them of this, but it seems necessary. 

Another aspect that totally blows me away--and I'm not making this up--is the number of agents who have asked me how to write a contract. I know how to do so. I don't go around advertising this, but these people have brokers to ask. I represent the seller, how would you think I'd answer that (hint: $100,000 over asking price, cash only, 5 day close, ice cream sandwich of the month subscription to the seller for the next two years, vacation in Fiji for the listing agent and don't ask for the seller to do anything). 


No comments:

Post a Comment