Friday, May 14, 2021

John is Back

My youngest brother, Squirrel*, has a friend named John. You remember John don't you? John is a bit of an excitable sort who is long on conspiracy theories and short on social conventions. Though he is nice enough, he does take a certain amount of patience that is not part of my genetic makeup. Therefore, when it came time to list his house--a listing that was mine to loose and for a reasonable commission--I walked. I haven't regretted this decision. Not one little bit. 

Anyway, John has a home in Sun City that needs flooring. It went on the market by Realtor, St. Luke, the Patron Saint of Excitable Conspiratorial Sorts. 

Squirrel called me the other day. He had a few hypothetical questions for his friend "Juan," who happens to be selling his house. Perhaps I could answer them. The house sold in a heartbeat to a ready, willing and able buyer. Squirrel also told me--and I'm not sure exactly what the case is here--that for some reason, the buyer walked and forfeited his earnest money. 

I guess, the problem troubling John/Juan is that the buyer's forfeited earnest money is to be split with the St. Luke. Yep. That's in the listing contract John signed. If the buyer walks, the agent is reimbursed for his time and trouble. The Seller is also reimbursed for his time and trouble. 

Now John is re-thinking the fairness such a thing. "Why? Is 'Juan' going to use the money to put in carpeting?" I asked. Not a chance. John just wanted the whole thing because he is "sure" St. Luke somehow caused the buyer to walk so he could make a few bucks. I doubt it. I haven't talked to St. Luke, but I suspect he would like to get out of this listing as soon as possible too. 

*Unfortunate nicknames are kind of a thing in my family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment