Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Non-Competitive Offers

Last week, my client countered back to two of the offers they got. 

The two they countered back to were not the highest offers. Not even in the slightest. However, they were the best written. 

To give you an idea of the crazy that my client passed on, the agent sent over the offer. Later I got an e-mail saying, "Whoops! I meant to say the offer was contingent on my buyer selling their home. Will this e-mail count as good enough wording so I don't have to re-write the contract?" Actually, no. Plus, there is a pre-printed addendum that says something along the lines of the offer is contingent upon the buyer successfully selling their home. It wasn't included. I so wanted to reach out to this agent and give a little coaching session. Why doesn't this agent know this form exists?? Why???? 

I also got text messages asking--and I'm not making this up--how many offers $10,000 under sales price had they received? I've been doing this for 18 years so please understand, even when the market was soft (like 2009) one didn't write an offer $10,000 under asking price. That simply doesn't happen here.  

And in case there's an agent out there who needs to hear this; this is not a market to ask the seller to pay for a buyer's closing costs, home warranty or appraisal. Or, if we can just put it simply: this is not a market to ask for anything.

There was also the agent who called me asking how to write up the contract in the first place. "You will need to discuss this with your broker. I cannot help you." was my basic reply. I never heard back. 

We did get an offer where the buyer was willing to credit the seller a few thousand dollars. Too bad that offer was missing significant basic information and was written in purple crayon. 

I'm pleased with the offer they took. Hopefully all will go well from here. I would not want to start this process over and put my clients through this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment